Monday, July 4, 2011

I corrected the spelling of "marvelous" for them.

"As they flew over the Crematorium, the plane shot upwards on the column of hot air rising from the chimneys, only to fall as suddenly when it passed into the descending chill beyond.
"'What a marvelous switchback!' Lenina laughed delightedly.
"But Henry's tone was almost, for a moment, melancholy. 'Do you know what that switchback was?' he said. 'It was some human being finally and definitely disappearing. Going up in a squirt of hot gas. It would be curious to know who it was--a man or a woman, an Alpha or an Epsilon. . . .' He sighed. Then, in a resolutely cheerful voice, 'Anyhow,' he concluded, 'there's one thing we can be certain of; whoever he may have been, he was happy when he was alive. Everybody's happy now.'" - p. 75

My first comment about that quote is that "switchback" is a euphemism for death, I'm pretty sure. Somebody's getting cremated, I guess? It sounds sinister to me, but cremation seems sinister to me too, and that's socially accepted in most circles, I think.

It also seems to imply, in that quote, that people are happier in the time of Ford than they were previously, which I don't think Bernard believes to be the case.

I'm still exceptionally confused by a lot of things, and I'm more or less afraid to speculate. That aside, "The Greater Being" usually refers to God, but these people are crazy and possibly not even considering themselves "human beings," what with how they refer to human beings as almost something other than themselves. I do that sometimes, but that's because I am weird, and I know this. Separateness. When they drink to "[their] annihilation," "the Greater Being," and "the imminence of His Coming," it seems like they're drinking to the apocalypse, and that is weird to me. Maybe they're wanting to be raptured.

The songs they sing are really bizarre. That "Bottle of Mine" song reminded me of this, which bothers me, but I'm embedding it anyway because my post lacks pop culture references so far:

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I think I understand the switchback better now. I thought it had something to do with the helicopter for some reason.

    Also, that's a silly song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohgood =D! And, um, yes. It really is.

    ReplyDelete