Thursday, January 20, 2011

in which Abby deftly expresses confusion

Rather oddly, it would seem thus far that Iago is the protagonist in this story. That's odd to me because the hero is typically the protagonist in stories, except for in this book Montmorency that I read one time and actually sold on Monday. (Debatably also Artemis Fowl.) Also, the play is entitled Othello, so one would be inclined to believe Othello would be the protagonist. Actually, the more I think about it, the less sure I am who the protagonist is, but I'm going to stick with Iago for the time being. In any case, the first act opens with Iago and Roderigo discussing Iago's contempt toward Othello. Supposing that Iago is indeed the protagonist, Othello might be considered the-- nope. Othello still thinks Iago's great. Othello must be the protagonist. Iago is the antagonist. Hence, "I hate the Moor." I.iii.386
Well that was confusing.

I think possibly Othello foils Iago. Othello's black, and Iago's white. Othello is driven by love and courage, whereas Iago is driven by jealousy and the thirst for revenge.

Roderigo helps advance the plot because the audience learns of Iago's true feelings through their conversations together, and this is not as awkward as a giant soliloquy. I think he also embodies the overall infatuation of the city of Venice with Desdemona, whose beauty "tire[s] the ingener," II.i.65 because he expresses the feeling first, although it is Cassio who speaks the line I quoted.

No comments:

Post a Comment