Thursday, January 20, 2011

By the power of Greyskull!

Weird. Weird weird weird. But that was my favorite part of the play so far. I always use "ZOUNDZ!" as an exclamation of sorts--an interjection, if you will. For these Othello guys, it means: Corruption of by his wounds, referring to the wounds of Christ (used as a mild oath). <-- http://www.cummingsstudyguides.net/xOthello.html#Notes

My font changed, and I am not fixing it >=[.

But yes, I am here today to complain about Shakespeare's ridiculous lexicography. I'm actually grateful for the "'Zounds," which has evolved quite nicely to my benefit, but I protest the footnote that explained that nephews are actually grandsons. I most certainly do not have two grandsons and one more on the way.

Also, we talked in class on Wednesday about the significance of Shakespeare's switching to prose. We speculated that he was probably trying to make that part stand out, and maybe he was experimenting a bit, because writing in iambic pentameter was just kind of what people did back then. But why? Did people speak in iambic pentameter? One time, I went around only speaking in haikus for a little while. It was difficult.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not getting the He-man reference

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh.... ZOUNDS reminded me of "By the power of Greyskull!" for some reason....

    ReplyDelete