Thursday, January 27, 2011

Guess who hasn't seen Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One in two months. That's right. This one.

Well, that was unsatisfactory.


In summation, Act V, scene ii... is a veritable bloodbath in which none of the favorites survive. Except maybe Cassio. He was all right, as characters go, although I didn't care for his laughing at Bianca, strumpet or no.

I would like to comment on the moment of Emilia's mortal stab wounding. We just get these stage directions about Othello lunging at Iago, and Iago stabbing Emilia and running. What's he thinking? What did Emilia do? Well... I suppose she betrayed him. But I mean... she poses zero further threat, and Othello's an inch from stabbing Iago in the face, so shouldn't he have gone for Othello? I guess we should know better than to think we'd get off that easily-- there would have been no place for a dramatic Romeo and Juliet-esque suicide if he'd been murdered.

2 comments:

  1. maybe it shows Iago's desperation...or utter evil nature, willing to kill without motive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppooose that makes sense.... I keep comparing him to Voldemort, I think, and for all that Iago is terrible, I don't have quite the fictional hatred for him that I have for Voldemort, who does like to explain his reasoning and make productions out of his killing, even when it would be more practical for his purposes to just get on with it.

    ReplyDelete