Thursday, January 12, 2012

But snow is prettier.

"Because You Asked about the Line Between Prose and Poetry" - Howard Nemerov

Nemerov uses a nice rhyme scheme here. I like those. I know people like to be all fancy and say, "Not all poetry has to rhyme," blah blah blah, but I think it's nice when they do. Even though it's gotten a lot less impressive since the dawn of rhyming dictionaries.

I'm not sure why he has it structured so. ABAB CC. That's weird. Maybe it's a thing. Someone should tell me.

But Nemerov seems to liken the difference between prose and poetry to the difference between freezing drizzle and snow. In other words, it's a fine line. But snow is prettier.


"So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane." - Looking for Alaska by John Green

No comments:

Post a Comment