Thursday, September 30, 2010

Remember that time I was convinced that Dumbledore wasn't dead because he was a phoenix? It's kind of like that.

I'm gonna be honest here. When it said "I have the last unshredded pictures/ of our matching eyes and hair," I wrote "incest?" in my reading journal. I'm still not sure I get it. Why do their eyes and hair match, if they're married?

Wait.... The pieces are falling together, but I don't really want them to fall together like this. My group and another group were both discussing the possibility that perhaps the couple in the poem had to split because they couldn't have children. I don't think this strays from the illustrious Cone Zone, especially if two groups considered the possibility. If they were in an incestuous relationship... children would be something of an unlikelihood, would they not? Perhaps it wasn't a physical impossibility but rather a moral dilemma....

It all seems to fit, but it's a bit odd that Mathis would choose to write a poem about it.

For more information about states' marriage laws... click here.

1 comment: